Strecno is a village situated eastward from Zilina on the left bank of river Vah. The first written reference about Strecno is dated from 14th century when it used to belong to the castle Strecno. Close to today´s village there is a famous skiing and recreation centre Pod Jedlovinou. Strecno is known as well fot its mentioned castle built in 1384, but nowadays we may see only its ruins but the place is frequently visited for its nice view of Strecniansky pass and north part of Zilinska dell. Other place of interest is the monument of french partizans who fought under the castle during the Slovak National uprising.